Re: Suspension

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Suspension
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:15:34 -0700
Hmmm.

I think we're arguing the same point, but from different directions, and I'll
have to restrict my earlier disagreement to just your statement that the
torque arm makes the car dive under braking. The torque reaction on the rear
axle due to either braking or backing up quickly is the same, and it has the
effect of reducing the load on the rear tires (because it's compressing the
suspension). This effectively does transfer more load to the front of the car,
but with the torque arm, the rear of the car is prevented from rising. Thus,
'anti-dive' geometry at the rear axle typically increases the weight transfer
during braking.

Time to hit the computer, methinks. If someone can supply CG height and spring
rates (at the wheels), we can attach some real numbers to this discussion.

Regards,
Theo