Re: Questions

To: cmclendon@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Questions
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:07:14 -0700
cmclendon@mindspring.com wrote:

> I have a few questions. I have searched listquest so if we have discussed
> this 1000 times I am sorry.
>
> 1.    I bought the gasket that goes behind the headlight assembly. In
> working my way down, I have discovered that the assembly appears to be
> riveted to the body of the vehicle. Is the preferred solution to take out
> the rivets and replace them with bolts, or am I missing something? (If this
> is in fact riveted to the body does this seem like a dumb idea to anyone
> else?)

Preference is individual, but rivets are not original or desirable.  I used
"rivnuts" which are inserted with a special tool, and put a captured threaded
insert in the sheet metal.  A stainless machine screw finishes off the
installation.  Sheet metal screws are used, but I suggest stainless material
for longevity. Depending upon previous hole size, this may be size 10 or 12
SMS.

> 3.    I am replacing the hood stops as well. The front two are no problem,
> but I am uncertain how to reach the the lower half of the rear two. How
> about this one, little help.

There is no need for "reaching" the lower half, as the "nut" is welded to the
body.  Just turn the rubber, or shank if the rubber has unbonded.

> 4.    Also, I am getting a aluminum radiator. Does anyone have good
> instructions on how they built a fan shroud that works, and looks relatively
> decent?

Defer to users, but excellent reports.  Picture in "Online Car Show", Chris
Vaught profile, as well as an excellent "Contributed Article" by Cullen Bennett
on <http://www.TigersUnited.com>.  A "Search" of the site, or a browse thru
"Tech Tips", "Cooling System" will reveal owner's commentary.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/