Re: Questions

To: cmclendon@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Questions
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:10:16 EDT
In a message dated 06/13/2000 5:36:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cmclendon@mindspring.com writes:

<< 1.    I bought the gasket that goes behind the headlight assembly. In
 working my way down, I have discovered that the assembly appears to be
 riveted to the body of the vehicle. Is the preferred solution to take out
 the rivets and replace them with bolts, or am I missing something? (If this
 is in fact riveted to the body does this seem like a dumb idea to anyone
 else?)  >>

Cecil,

You are correct, the dumb idea used by the factory was to the rivet the
headlight buckets and rubber gaskets to the body.  Today, most owners replace
the rivets with bolts or screws.  The original rivets were somewhat larger
than those used on the chassis I.D. plate (sorry, I don't recall the exact
size), so if you are a stickler for originality (or just want to keep things
private), you will have to look to a source other than Jan Harde for the
"correct rivets.....to complete that special correct installation."  Then of
course, the copper rivets wouldn't be right for the headlights anyway.

Dick