Re: Tying the Tiger

To: "Crawley,John" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Tying the Tiger
From: Craig Wright <cwright@pdghightower.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:13:55 -0800
This is good thinking and very worth considering. The straps are there for two
important
reasons. 1. Hold the car in place during normal towing forces (obvious). 2.
Hold the car
in place during extreme conditions, panic stops, swerves and collisions (less
obvious).
This explains why most articles say to cross the front and rear tie downs to
opposite
sides of the trailer. The car isn't going to move sideways under normal
conditions but if
something goes wrong you need to control the car from moving sideways. I think
I'll move
my tie downs this week end to allow for crossing the straps on future trips.
Cheap
insurance.

Craig Wright