Re: Brakes without booster

To: CE25593@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brakes without booster
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:54:56 -0700
Bob, one of the easiest ways is to get better brake pads.  Stock pads
have a Cd of around .25-.30.  I use Porterfield R4-S pads with a Cd of .40.

Here is the formula.

T=R*A*F*N *P
T=total system torque (clamping ability)
R=effective disc radius (dist from disc center to the caliber piston)

A=effective area of the piston top, not including seal
Use (1/2D)(1/2D)(3.14) with D equals the piston top diameter, then
Fiat bore = 1.375, Wilwood singe bore = 1.75"

multiply by the number (N) of pistons per caliber (count only
one side on opposed piston caliber designs) D=1.75", A=2.4*2
Front D=1.75", Rear Fiat D=1..334"
F=coefficient of friction produced by the lining (Porterfield R-4S=.4,
and
R-4=.5)

The effect of the better Cd of the pad is direct  and can increase the
total system torque by 33% -60%.

Larry