Re: Brakes without booster

To: VegasLegal@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brakes without booster
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:51:30 -0700
Bob,

I believe that the method you used could indeed have deformed and
crushed the original "bubble flare", which looks something like this
====<> to "more, or less" conform with your US "double flare", which
looks something like this ====<<  (where the outer surface is folded
over to be inside the original tube, making it double thick in this
area, but the angles are different than the bubble flare.

However, there is no way that these original brake line ends can be
"unfolded" to their original shape, and seal with the matching shape of
the new booster with a replacement  servo.  This won't just "sneak up"
on you, it will take a big chunk out of your behind. ;-)

When your right leg gets tired, and you decide to replace the "emergency
kit" fix with a real servo, you will need to replace the entire lengths
of the lines going to and from the servo to the rest of the master
cylinder and the distribution block.  If you use the Midland-Ross US
unit, you may be able to survive with the deformed end, but it is
unlikely they will be the correct length(s) for the new location.  In
this case you would need a GOOD (not cheap) double flare tool (like
Snap-On) to make a safe seal end without cracking the tube, or deforming
the shape. A good mechanic might do this for you, as these are not
inexpensive tools.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman