Re: Header coatings

To: <mk1a@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Header coatings
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:31:20 -0800
Cliff,

I've used Jet-Hot previously and I just sent my Tiger headers off to them.
I have a '63 Nova wagon with Jet-Hot coated headers, done by the PO.  I'm
very happy with the Jet-Hot product.  The Nova has the Jet-Hot "Sterling"
coating which is a glossy silver.  I had the header on my Buell cycle coated
in the mat black finish.

I like the look of the sterling but wanted a meaner look for the bike.  The
black finish does not seem as tough as the silver and the color coat
(Jet-Hot is a two step process) seems to be easily scratched off.  I had not
noticed this with the sterling.  I asked Jet-Hot about this and they were
surprised to hear about my experiences with the black.  To tell you the
truth the black header has been on the bike for three years and many
thousands of miles and it still looks pretty good so the phenom I'm
describing is subtle.  I went with the sterling for the Tiger.  Partially
based on my experiences with the bike but also because the sterling provides
the greatest under hood temperature reduction.

Jet-Hot is not cheap.  Coating standard long tube headers cost $275
currently.  This gets you headers coated inside and out.  Also, expect an
additional $50 for shipping both ways.

Frank