Re: Header coatings

To: SLaifman@socal.rr.com, mk1a@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Header coatings
From: Drmoonstone@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:49:08 EST
Thanks Steve.

This is a brief description of the process we go through that the other
coaters don't. To begin with we do not have an assembly line, each piece is
individually handled, inspected (through the whole process) and coated. If the
results aren't good enough for a show car (no matter what coating you choose)
or to
go on our cars then it is done over.....satisfaction guaranteed....

We double coat, we use multiple types of beads, we use the most advanced heat
barriers and hand process every order. We also take it on ourselves to close
pin holes and leaks if not too big.

Caps Bright Hot Coatings is a Techline authorized applicator of Cermakrome.
The third in the country to be certified.

The headers are first put in an oven and baked at @500 degrees to remove
petroleum and sometimes fiberglass and other contamination.

They are then bead blasted with 120 mesh cracked steel shot (this gives the
surface a texture for the Cermakrome to attach)  (then transferred using
nitral
gloves to avoid contamination) to another cabinet containing Aluminum oxide
where it is blasted for a uniform appearance. Both inside and outside surfaces
are blasted.

Next, the inside is coated with a 2000 degree heat barrier. The outside is
coated with the heat barrier and then double coated with Cermakrome. It is
then
baked at @500 degrees for over 2 hours.

After cooling it is put into very large vibratory vats that are filled with
ceramic beads of 7 different sizes and proprietary cleaners and detergents.

When done, you get a chrome look that will not peel, will not come off even
if you beat it with a hammer and will reduce underhood temps by as much as
25%.

There are some limitations as they relate to sustained temps. If you have a
new engine, dial it in first then coat. If your engine is running very lean or
very fat the sustained temps can exceed 1300 degrees which is the melting
point of the aluminum component in Cermakrome. The coating will not come off
but
it will lose shine and gray up. This is a fact of physics.

The Cermakrome is in a water based carrier and the surface will have an
appearance of chrome but with what some people call orange peel (this texture
escapes all but those looking for it). If you want smooth as glass then only
chrome
or complete ceramic will do. Chrome peels, turns blue and will burn off, true
ceramics are prone to chipping if impacted (especially the edges and corners)
and the cost is high.

As an added benefit, our prices are better then those others mentioned,
especially when compared feature for feature.

Additionally, we do powder coating, Teflon's, piston coatings, real ceramic
(as in the type used on Dusenburgs and the likes), and many very specialized
coatings. Many off our coating have come directly from NASA and the likes (ask
Laifman).

We have a long list of happy customers including, Paul Newman, Orange County
Choppers, dan Olsen racing Products and Sanderson Headers (we were doing all
of their stuff until they set up their own coating shop with our expertise as
guide). There are too many big names to mention, but you can find our product
being used in Drag Racing, Indy/Champ Cars, Nascar, offshore and drag boats,
Offroad racing, SCCA, Imsa and dozens of other venues. We guarantee your
satisfaction.

Moonstone