Re: Dr. Gas

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dr. Gas
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:30:57 -0800
>Frank, I looked at the X pipe, but I could see no way to put it in.  Of
>course you could shorten the collectors , but that hurts the torque
>curve.  And Theo's suggestion of angling the collectors would help get
>it in, Maybe.  But why do this if the torque and HP are the same or
>better with the H pipe.

Larry, I don't think you can draw any conclusion that an H pipe is better
than an X pipe based on that one web article, you know better than that and
you pretty much sum it up when you talk about the eBay HP claims.

There is a large body of experience out there that favors the X pipe in most
applications.  The siamesed cross-over is supposed to be even better as a
refinement of the typical X design.  In addition I think Michael said it
well when he stated that "a WELL DESIGNED "X" pipe is better than an "H"
pipe", I believe this is always key, whatever configuration it must be well
designed.

I totally agree that there seems little chance that the X topologies will
work on a Tiger, I simply am interested to know if Dr. Gas had any input on
this during the SUNI presentation.  I've already pretty much committed
myself to an H-pipe (despite the claims on some web pages that they can
actually hurt performance Vs. no cross-over at all).

Also, I also totally agree that the dyno must be the final judge for all
modifications.  The only real way to tell is to try different combinations
on the target vehicle and compare them on the dyno.  You really can not
expect to draw any conclusions on performance numbers made on widely
different vehicles.  You can't deduce how a particular exhaust configuration
will work on a carbureted Tigers by looking at data for late model FI
Mustangs with cats.

For me it's not about who currently has the best set up on their Tiger or
what makes the most sense as far as cost or practicality.  It is about
learning about interesting new ideas and, hopefully, testing some of the new
ideas in real life.

Frank
B9471116