Re: [Tigers] Oil Pressure

To: tigers@autox.team.net, dave@munroe.ca
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Oil Pressure
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
Dave- Oil pressure, like many things can be argued as what is optimum. In my
opinion your pressure drooped when at higher temps because of expansion. One
needs to remember that oil pressure is measured by resistance. Thats why as an
engine wears, especially the cam and main bearing, oil pressure starts to drop
from the numbers it ran when new. So someone might think 60 or 70 lbs. of
pressure is wonderful, while I would wonder why it is that high unless a high
pressure pump, designed to make that much psi had been installed. Most 260, 289
and 302 engine ran around 50 lbs cold and would stay rather close unless the
engine got at or above 220 degrees in temp where it would start dropping off
and depending on the condition of the engine the numbers may well vary. Im not
sure what the 5.0 HO engines ran new, even tho they too are 302 engines, they
do have roller bearings etc. so the desing might be for different numbers. Also
you should consider that on a
 rebuilt engine that the machinist and how well he does his work can play a
part in the pressure along with the quality of parts used to rebuild the
engine. In my opinion if you have 40 to 50 lbs of pressure you are in good
shape, while if I saw 75 lbs I would wonder what was keeping the oil from
flowing, thus making higher pressures than normal.
regards, TtT