Re: [Tigers] Oil Pressure

To: dave@munroe.ca
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Oil Pressure
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:56:44 -0700
Dave,

A bit of history.  When I owned a '51 MG-TD I bought all sorts of
"improvements" for it, from "Hellings" air cleaners, SU carb. balance
tube "U" gauge, and an "oil pressure booster".

This device replaced the external oil pressure check relief valve
spring. It was made from a nicely machined and polished billet, and had
an adjustment knob threaded in to compress the check valve spring.

Worked just fine, and I could adjust the oil pressure by simply screwing
in the knurled knob, increasing the spring tension, and raising the
pressure required to open the valve. It was a regulated pressure setting.

I had no idea what the oil pressure should be, but 60 psi mid gauge
reading seemed appropriate. Having very few days below 55 F, I don't
know if this would have been "off-scale" in colder weather.

Anyway. it looked good, and didn't seem to be of any harm.

Tiger runs about 40 F. hot, idle, and may creep to 60 on cooler days.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com