[Tigers] Machine shop questions

To: "tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Machine shop questions
From: "Tiger Man" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:25:16 -0700
Hey there,

I thought I would ask the group some questions and see if you guys can bring
up my machine shop IQ.

I found a deal on a used 289 5 bolt bell housing reasonably local to my area
for not much money.  Would have loved to know these answers before I shelled
out money, but since I didn't spend too much, I hope that means I can't loose
that much either.

So here are some basic machine shop type questions I have.

How can you accurately measure or determine the current bore/piston size on a
used block, without being able to take it to the machine shop first.  I don't
see any markings on the piston that would help me out.  I'm assuming my
standard cheap digital caliper can't measure it because 1) it doesn't have the
reach to measure an inside diameter beyond the 'ridge' area.  and b) because
it has some width to it, and not a blade point It will be off by a bit when
trying to measure the inside of a cylinder.

If the block or pistons come out at 30 over already, can the block be cleaned
up to 40 over, or are you just asking for trouble (overheating)?

Is a 5 bolt 289 block worth having sleeved if the bore is out of spec, or is
that an outrageously expensive option?

Would a mild stroker kit fit in a 289 block, or when they went to the 302, did
they physically change the length of the bore?

Is there any way you can tell or test to see if a set of used ford heads
already has hardened valve seats in them?  I am assuming that if it had
hardened valve seats already installed, that would significantly reduce the
cost to recondition a set of heads?

Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me, hopefully I didn't buy a
large paperweight.

Steve