Re: [Tigers] Machine shop questions

To: "'Tiger Man'" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>, "'tigers'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Machine shop questions
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:39:37 -0500
Steve
        You really need a bore gage to read the diameter.  You also want to
make sure the bores are not trumpet shaped.
You can do this with a snap gage but you also need a 4" micrometer to get a
really good reading.   If you want a rough guess at the top just under the
ridge; measure the width of one of the rings, put it square in the bore,
then measure with your calipers add in 2x ring width.  You can always
measure what the top is and then guess what the ridge thickness is for a
rough estimate.

Got a machine shop in your area; you need to talk to them.

40 over is pushing it, you really need to sonic test all the bores to know
if it can be bored that much.

Not sure what the cost is for sleeving an engine.

They make stroker kits for just about every engine.

Hardened seats should be obvious if they are in the heads, I believe.   I
have been told that you don't need hardened seats unless you plan for the
engine to live a 5,000 rpm or more mostly but I'm no expert here.

Ron Fraser