Re: [Tigers] Book of Norman

To: Bill Martin
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Book of Norman
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:21:45 -0400
At 11:18 AM 3/24/2010, Bill Martin wrote:
 > Mauro et al,
 >
 > To those who are relatively new to the Tiger community I will provide a
 > little bit of background on the BON. I purchased Rootes Group Depot from
 > Norm in 2001 and consider myself a very good friend of Norm, so knowing
 > that he will probably keep quiet I offer this. Norm self published the
 > BON in 1990. He printed 1000 copies and sold them through Sunbeam
 > Specialties and sometimes at his shop for 58 bucks. It took him 5 years
 > to sell out. A couple of years after the printing the print broker went
 > under and destroyed all of the plates, thus no second editions and Norm
 > did not break even on the BON he actually lost money. What you don't know
 > is that he was chastised for having the arrogance to publish a book about
 > the Tiger by the same community he was trying to improve. I am sure that
 > with BON2 comes out it will knock everyone on their buts again. So when
 > you see a BON listed for an astounding amount of money remember that Norm
 > is not getting a piece of the action, but I am sure he is chuckling.

Excellent points.  But the destruction of the
plates was Norman's bad, as he ought to have
insisted they be sent to him or otherwise
preserved.  (I have done so with both of my
books, but, then, I am a very suspicious soul!)

However, these plates are no longer
necessary.  Take one BON.  Disassemble it.  Scan
the pages.  Print as many copies as you
wish.  Norm holds the copyright.  Let him do this
-- the overhead is astonishingly small -- and he
can then sell copies for, say, $100 a copy which
will go into his personal fisc.  The effort is
small, the overhead is minimal, and the return is high.

Or, to be high tech, he could scan it and sell it over the Internet.

I am rustling money under Norm's nose ....

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!