Re: [Tigers] Green Alger

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>, "todbrown@roadrunner.com"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Green Alger
From: "Would U. Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:40:23 -0400
I agree, Theo. Remember, I did say clearly that I think the VIN and JAL tags
are off limits.  All I meant was that there are people who just want to feel
that the clone they're making is right in every way.  I meant only that it
is a way to fill a need in themselves and not to be dishonest.

My analogy used a new reissue guitar that is tweaked with "correct" 1960s
hardware, etc., but zero monkey business with serial numbers or brands.  I
used a Rickenbacker 1964 360/12 reissue as an example of the kind of guitar
some Japanese and other collectors and Beatles fans would tweak to be just
like George's guitar.  Since only two of those were made in 1964 -- one is
in George's estate and the other is owned by the family of the original
owner -- it is not at all possible to even consider claiming a tweaked
reissue is vintage guitar.  So you see, there is no dishonesty or greed
involved in this analogy, which I think might also be applicable to Algers
(sometimes).

Look at Mike S., for instance.  He is not at all dishonest about his cars,
but I'm sure he could be meticulous about them being as close to the real
thing as possible...for him and himself alone, though.  I hope that makes
some sense.  M