Re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans

To: lesf@metronet.com (Les Francis)
Subject: Re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans
From: Don Haw <don@buster.ngs.noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 9:29:43 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net (TRIUMPHS)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

> OK, I'm about to choose between: a) A REALLY, REALLY BIG HAMMER, b) a flat
> tow to the local British car auto repair shop, and c) guidance from you!
>
> I removed the transmission to replace the clutch and rebuild the slave
> cylinder.  Mission accomplished.  I am now suffering from the "replacement
> is a straightforward reversal of the above".  Namely, I cannot get the
> g*****n transmission back in place.
>
> I DID align the clutch with my swell alignment tool - and it LOOKED
> centered, too. I tried using a leftover leaf from an old rear suspension as
> a lever to hold the trans in place while guiding it forward.  I used a floor
> jack to try to raise the back of the engine slightly.  All to no avail.  I
> can get it within about an inch, but no further.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Les Francis
> '78 Spitfire

Les

I bought a new clutch a couple of years ago from TRF and put it on with little
trouble.  But when I tried to get the engine back in , it just wouldn't go .

I was down in Richmond at the time at my brother's garage and had to take
a bus home to the DC area.  He said he would have a mechanic from his work
take a look at it.  Well the mechanic did look at it and said it was the wrong
part.

Did you make sure that the clutch fit before you bolted it into place, I didn't

I am a bit wiser (not much) but a bit.

Don Haw
76 Spit
University Park, MD