Re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans

To: lesf@metronet.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:12:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I DID align the clutch with my swell alignment tool - and it LOOKED
>centered, too. I tried using a leftover leaf from an old rear suspension as
>a lever to hold the trans in place while guiding it forward.  I used a floor
>jack to try to raise the back of the engine slightly.  All to no avail.  I
>can get it within about an inch, but no further.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?

Les,

I know maddening that job can be - I've got two Spits.

Tony's right in his commemts. There are only a few things that will keep the
tranny from going that last inch or so. It is possible the pilot bearing is
undersized for the trans input shaft. If the alignment tool will go all the
way in, that's probably not the problem. You do have one of those specific 10
or 20 spline, $5-7 plastic tools don't you? If not, get one - generic
alignments tools are pretty worthless on Spits unless the engine and tranny
are out of the car.

One trick I use to get it that last inch is to put the trans in a gear and
wiggle the output flange back and forth. That helps to align the splines as
it goes in the last little bit.

One last thing. You did pay attention to the friction disk's side that says
"this side toward flywheel'? I know a guy who put one back together, buttoned
everthing up and went for a drive. To make a long story short, after a lot of
noise and some destroyed clutch parts, he got some more clutch alignment
experience.

Good luck
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register