Re: Commission Numbers, etc.

To: Tom Niccum <tniccum@liferate.com>
Subject: Re: Commission Numbers, etc.
From: mjm@art.ca.boeing.com (Jerry McDonald)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 06:27:42 -0700 "Commission Numbers, etc." (Jun 4, 6:26pm)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Commission Numbers, etc.
>
> Hi all -
>
> When I look at the title to my TR-4 it says that I have a '63.
>
> Looking at my Commission number of CT13648LO, and the Moss catalogue, I
am
> lead to believe that I actually own a '62.  Actually, a '62 with an
engine
> that is not original, judging by the CT57318E engine number.  Also, I
have
> the Zenith carbs, not the SUs.  Is CT13648LO a '62 or '63?  Does LO
imply
> overdrive?  (I don't have overdrive so my tranny is a swap out too I'm
> guessing).

I would take what the Moss catalog says as gospel. I own a '62 TR4 CT1272L
and while the Moss catalog lists the year as a '61 that I think reflects
the production year rather than the model year. The state registers by
model year. Yes I would guess that the engine was swapped. The numbers for
body and engine need not match but should be within a few hundred of each
other. For instance my cars engine number is CT1414E which I believe is
the original engine. Yes the O at the end of your comm. number means
overdrive was originally installed.

> Also, reading 'Original TR', I see only pictures of a white metal dash
in
> the displayed TR-4s.  Moss lists parts for both a metal and wood dash.
> have a wood dash.  Which is 'correct' for this car?

Both are correct in fact in my experience most TR4's have wood dashes. The
wood dash was an option that was offered late in the '62 year production
run. Personally I like the metal dash although some guides list the value
for metal dash 4's several hundred dollars less than those with wood.

> I also have seats that appear to have a much taller back than anything
in a
> TR-4 or 4A.  Anyone have some original seats?

Can't help you there.

> I love the car, original or not, but I am curious about these things.
> Thanks!

Glad to help.

--
Jerry McDonald: mjm@bobo.ca.boeing.com (work) or jmac@nwrain.com (home)
Did old VW buses come from the factory with Grateful Dead stickers?