Re: Commission Numbers, etc.

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Commission Numbers, etc.
From: Philip Searle <Searle@HBOI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 96 11:28:00 PDT
Encoding: 43 TEXT
Tom Niccum wrote:

>Looking at my Commission number of CT13648LO...
>with an engine that is not original, judging by the
>CT57318E engine number.

Yep.  Engine numbers are usually fairly close to commision numbers.  A
couple of hundred higher usually, those engines going to Morgan etc.

>Also, I have the Zenith carbs, not the SUs.

There was a brief batch of cars produced with Strombergs.  Then the factory
continued with SUs, before switching to Strombergs thru to the 4A.  The
changes are well documented (try "Original TR").  Your engine has been
swapped so the carbs could be from anywhere.

>Does LO imply overdrive?
>(I don't have overdrive so my tranny is
>a swap out too I'm guessing).

Yes.  L = left hand drive.   O = overdrive.
You probably still have the overdrive switch on the steering column?

>Which (dash) is 'correct' for this car?

I always thought the wood dash was a US option?  Seems like the white metal
dash is a rarer site these days, everyone seems to put the wood one on
restored cars.

>I love the car, original or not, but I am curious about these things.

Good attitude.

Regards

Phil Searle
'63 TR4 CT18460 LO