Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning

To: MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 03:04:17 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>> > I am putting a new rear spring in my '76 Spit and cannot determine which
>> > side is the front. There are NO markings on the spring clips as
>> > mentioned in both the factory book or the Haynes manual. Do you have any
>> > ideas on this?
>> >
>> > From what the manuals say, I gather this MAY be of great import when
>> > installing the spring, but I really can't see any difference by looking
>> > at the spring itself.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
>> >
>> > Cheers and Happy Motoring
>> > Bob
>
>I bought a Rimmer Bros. replacement Spit 1500 spring a couple of
>years ago, again not marked back and front. I don't think it really
>matters which way round it goes. In fact, each time I take the spring
>out for whatever reason,I swap it round so that it wears more evenly.
>This appears to make no difference whatsoever to the way the car sits
>or drives.
>
>Jonathan

Jonathan,
 Excellent point.
 When our cars were built, the Manufacturer considered that about 90% of
the time, the car would have one person in it, the driver.
 I was recently adding a leaf to beef up the rear suspension on a GT6 and
I happened to find myself wondering why the springs indicated front.
  I miked the spring thickness.
Conclusion:
 The spring was evr so slightly thicker on the drivers' side. Don't
recall how much thicker, but it was only the primary spring.
 I surmised that if that is the case with cars destined for the US, the
cars that were to remain domestic must be just the opposite.
 Producers of after-market parts are unconcerned with such trivial matters
and as a result, when we replace leaf springs, we get uniform leaves
which ultimately start to sag a little sooner than OEM.
 My solution was to turn the spring around and add a leaf.
 The ride became considerably stiffer, but the handling improvements were
so drastic that I was happy to conceede the ride.
 Just my opinion.
 Jonathan has a sound idea even if it does involve a little extra work.
But, what else is there to do with these cars?
Best Regards,
Tony
###