Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning

To: markus@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:07:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>> On 1500 springs there's no difference between left or right ends. At one
>time
>> I even flipped ends to cure a sagging rear driver side - didn't really
work
>> so I had to do something else.
>
>That's what's interesting to me. What did you do? I've got the same
>problem...

Markus,

Spits have always had an undersprung rear end. What I did was to install
air-adjustable shocks at the rear. Both of my Spits have this setup (one has
Monroe, one Gabriel). If your leaf spring is badly worn, i.e. having about a
7-8 degree negative camber, you'll need to replace it.

The shock kit is designed for 1963-1982 Corvettes. The installation is easy,
with no modification necessary to the car. You will need to swap out some of
the rubber bushings after removing the ones that come on the shocks. The
number for the Monroe kit is MA 785. The "list" price from Monroe is about
$170, but our local discount parts house could order the same kit for about
$88. The Gabriel kit I don't have an official number for - my kit came from
JC Whitney and their catalog number is 81-3388Y. Their cost is about $75
delivered.

I carry about 45 psi on both cars and that gets the camber back to about 1-2
degrees negative. If my significant othe and I go on an overnighter, with
luggage, I add about another 5 psi. My first conversion has been in operation
for about 5 years and they're still going strong.

If you have further questions, I'll be glad to help out.

Keep me posted,
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register