Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning
From: "M. Schwemmle" <markus@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Robert Norway <examiner@nexusprime.org>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Andi and Robert,

recently I had the same problem. The brand new leaf spring does not have
ANY marks...

> > I am putting a new rear spring in my '76 Spit and cannot determine which
> > side is the front. There are NO markings on the spring clips as
> > mentioned in both the factory book or the Haynes manual. Do you have any
> > ideas on this?

I decided to put the spring in the car so it looks exactly like the old
one. The different leaves are held together with U-shaped holders. I
decided that front is, where the nuts are screwed on the bolts (like on
the old one). Does that make sense? Maybe not. I couldn't determine the
reason why that should make any difference but maybe there is.

Please send me a short note when the job is done, especially about the
different driving experience! There is one bitching part in the whole job
and that is to put the metal plate from the old spring in the new one.
Getting it out of the old one is no big deal. But putting it in the new
one... lot's of swearwords, sweat and a big hammer helped me finally...

have a good day and: SUCCESS...

Markus