Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:25:20

> > I am putting a new rear spring in my '76 Spit and cannot determine which
> > side is the front. There are NO markings on the spring clips as
> > mentioned in both the factory book or the Haynes manual. Do you have any
> > ideas on this?
> >
> > From what the manuals say, I gather this MAY be of great import when
> > installing the spring, but I really can't see any difference by looking
> > at the spring itself.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
> >
> > Cheers and Happy Motoring
> > Bob

I bought a Rimmer Bros. replacement Spit 1500 spring a couple of
years ago, again not marked back and front. I don't think it really
matters which way round it goes. In fact, each time I take the spring
out for whatever reason,I swap it round so that it wears more evenly.
This appears to make no difference whatsoever to the way the car sits
or drives.

Jonathan

*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles