Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning

To: Robert Norway <examiner@nexusprime.org>, markus@u.washington.edu, Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:14:56 -0400 "Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning" (Jun 13, 3:14pm)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Spitfire Spring Positioning
> I'm flattered by Hugh's recommendation, but I'm afraid I can't help on
> this one, which is why I'm also forwarding this to the Triumphs list.
> Spit 1500 folks, can you help here?
>
> --Andy
>
> On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Robert Norway wrote:
>
> > Andrew,
> > Hugh McAleer recommended contacting you for my problem.
> >
> > I am putting a new rear spring in my '76 Spit and cannot determine which
> > side is the front. There are NO markings on the spring clips as
> > mentioned in both the factory book or the Haynes manual. Do you have any
> > ideas on this?
> >
> > From what the manuals say, I gather this MAY be of great import when
> > installing the spring, but I really can't see any difference by looking
> > at the spring itself.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
> >
> > Cheers and Happy Motoring
> > Bob
> >
>-- End of excerpt from Andrew Mace

Well, from the distant, dark, dusty, dim and dank corners of my memory,
ISTR that the difference between the fron and back was a metal tag. I
don't recall what was on the tag, but the tag on the old spring was at
the front, and that is what I did with the new one. (It's been nearly
20 years since I replaced the original, and at least 15 since I last
had it out). I also seem to recall that the nuts were on the front
side of the spring, to confirm what Markus Schwemmle wrote.

I have promised to find and measure my old spring for someone on the
net, but I haven't been able to locate the old one yet. If I can
locate it in my junk-filled garage, I can let everyone know all of
the desired information.

Doug Mitchell