Re: TR3A Wiring harness

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@scruznet.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A Wiring harness
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:01:26 +0500 (EST)
Cc: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>, a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca, Paulsv@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> John I as always beg to differ.  The parts book was written for the TR2...

> Just about any part on your TR3 that is different from a TR2 will not be
> documented in the parts manual.  The factory issued a jillion lose leaf
> supplement pages which have not been reproduced and offered for sale.  I
> have some photocopied pages of some, but they don't have illustrations.
> Just a short writen description. or just the statement that part number
> whatever replaces part number whatever (real helpful)....

Well, it was good enough for the dealers, eh? :-)

Actually, I've had little if any trouble identifying TR3A bits from my
original, grey-looseleaf-binder, later edition of the spare parts
manual. OK, it really doesn't cover TR3B very well (but what/who does?),
and no, it doesn't redraw every part that was modified over the
production run of TR2-3A. In fairness, though, I would hope that
Brooklands and/or anyone else reprinting spare parts manuals would at
least be working from a copy of the very latest, most up-to-date version
extant. Maybe that's not the case?

I've always thought, based on various spare parts manuals I've
collected, that the folks in Coventry did a pretty decent job of keeping
up with changes, considering typesetting, artwork, printing and
distribution costs for what were relatively low-volume production cars,
not to mention trying to document some very different specifications for a
number of marketing areas -- yellow French headlights, NADA sealed beam
headlight requirements, no amber flasher lenses in various markets, etc.,
etc.

Meanwhile, regarding running changes, I don't think that Triumphs are all
that much worse in this regard than are even some of the more common
American cars, some of which were built in dozens of factories, and two
"identical" models, one built in NY and the other in CA, might look very
similar but have any number of very different parts. Anybody know what
makes the "California" bumper on early 1950s Chevrolets different from
other Chevrolet bumpers? [Answer upon request]

--Andy