Re: TR3A Wiring harness

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@scruznet.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A Wiring harness
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 96 10:58:57 EST
Cc: a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca, Paulsv@aol.com, R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Dec 18, 10:01am, Andrew Mace wrote:
> TerriAnn wrote:
> >The factory issued a jillion lose leaf
> > supplement pages which have not been reproduced and offered for sale.  I
> > have some photocopied pages of some, but they don't have illustrations.
> > Just a short writen description. or just the statement that part number
> > whatever replaces part number whatever (real helpful)....
>
> Well, it was good enough for the dealers, eh? :-)
>
> Actually, I've had little if any trouble identifying TR3A bits from my
> original, grey-looseleaf-binder, later edition of the spare parts
> manual. OK, it really doesn't cover TR3B very well (but what/who does?),
> and no, it doesn't redraw every part that was modified over the
> production run of TR2-3A. In fairness, though, I would hope that
> Brooklands and/or anyone else reprinting spare parts manuals would at
> least be working from a copy of the very latest, most up-to-date version
> extant. Maybe that's not the case?
>
> I've always thought, based on various spare parts manuals I've
> collected, that the folks in Coventry did a pretty decent job of keeping
> up with changes, considering typesetting, artwork, printing and
> distribution costs for what were relatively low-volume production cars,
> not to mention trying to document some very different specifications for a
> number of marketing areas -- yellow French headlights, NADA sealed beam
> headlight requirements, no amber flasher lenses in various markets, etc.,
> etc.

...and most of these are incorporated in the Bentley Reprint of
the Spare Parts Manual.  They have part numbers listed as "fitted
up to commission number XXX", "fitted from commission number
YYY and future" and "French Market only" for example.  Not everything
is quite right, but its pretty good in general.  I've generally been
able to find most part numbers that I've needed this way.   Works for
me anyway.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm