Re: Three Spitfire questions.

To: "Anthony Green" <green@cygnus.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Three Spitfire questions.
From: "Peter Gillis" <pgillis@cosmedia.ie>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:39:12 +0100

----------
> From: Anthony Green <green@cygnus.com>
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Three Spitfire questions.
> Date: 14 July 1997 07:59
>

> Hey folks -
>
> I have a few questions about my '79 Spitfire 1500.
>
> 3. I was going to top up the gearbox oil myself and crawled under the
> car for the first time. I had the front up on safety stands. It took
> me a minute to find the plug, and boy is it ever tricky to get to.  I
> didn't feel very comfortable lying underneath the car, so I bailed out
> and am getting the mechanic on the corner to do the job. :-) I'd like
> to feel comfortable doing this job myself. Are ramps safer than
> stands?  Are there any tricks that make this job easy?
>
> As always - feel free to point out the obvious.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Anthony
> '79 Spitfire 1500 (daily driver).
>
> --
> Anthony Green                                               Cygnus
Solutions
>                                                        Sunnyvale,
California
> Dear Anthony the answer to this third question,certainly on earlier
spitfires and I have
no reason to doubt its different to yours, is to remove the tunnel over the
gear box housing
from inside the car, this makes life a whole lot easier and in most cases
only involves
removing a few of the little self tapper bolts (the self tapper bolt fairy
has usually removed
the rest over the years)
Cheers
Peter Gillis