Re: Three Spitfire questions.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Three Spitfire questions.
From: dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com (david r simpson)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:58:16 -0400 (EDT)

>Hey folks -
>
>I have a few questions about my '79 Spitfire 1500.
>
>1. I bought a new (metal) fuel filter yesterday; but today, when
>I was staring at the engine, I noticed there was a second fuel filter
>between the fuel pump and the carburator. My books don't mention this
>second filter.  Did someone have a good reason for putting this in?
>What was it?  Can anybody suggest a replacement part #, or should I
>just replace it with hose?

The second fuel filter past the fuel pump was a most likely
a add on by a PO, not too bad of and idea but one should be
sufficient if it is in good shape. Maybr a PO could find the
one in the trunk.

>2. The bi-metallic strip for the air intake valve has snapped, and the
>metal flap just bounces around. I will probably get a new one soon, and
>while I'm at it, replace the air intake hose. My air intake hose is
>very short. It looks like it should be much longer. Where is the intake
>portion supposed to end up?

The flex hose should be routed to a box on the exhaust manifold,
if a 79 is like earlier spitfires

>3. I was going to top up the gearbox oil myself and crawled under the
>car for the first time. I had the front up on safety stands. It took
>me a minute to find the plug, and boy is it ever tricky to get to.  I
>didn't feel very comfortable lying underneath the car, so I bailed out
>and am getting the mechanic on the corner to do the job. :-) I'd like
>to feel comfortable doing this job myself. Are ramps safer than
>stands?  Are there any tricks that make this job easy?

A second set of jack stands would be nice for this, it would make
the car level & at least feel safer, On later spitfires you might
have to take out the radio and its' mounting frame work. there
is less in the way on earlier models.  As for are ramps or jack
stands being safer. I think it all depends on the quality/condition
of the equipment and how well the car is balanced and sitting flatly
on them.

Question of my own. Is there any way to check the level other than
draining it and refilling it woht the correct amount der the manual.
Is there a overflow/fill plug on the side??

The first time nothing is obvious, the only dumb question
is the one not asked. Unless you are in a meeting of "want
to be managers" and the are talking just to be heard
Sorry for the dissertation, just venting

Dave Simpson
NE Ohio
76 spitfire
61 TR3B