Re: Three Spitfire questions.

To: green@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Three Spitfire questions.
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 14 Jul 97 8:47:54
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Anthony Green wrote:

>>I bought a new (metal) fuel filter yesterday; but today, when
I was staring at the engine, I noticed there was a second fuel filter
between the fuel pump and the carburator. My books don't mention this
second filter.  Did someone have a good reason for putting this in?<<

>From time to time we have debated the necessity of the second filter,
but I say definitely put it in.  It will catch any debris missed by the first
filter way back at the tank, stuff carburetors just love to hate.

>> I was going to top up the gearbox oil myself and crawled under the
car for the first time. I had the front up on safety stands. It took
me a minute to find the plug, and boy is it ever tricky to get to.  I
didn't feel very comfortable lying underneath the car, so I bailed out
and am getting the mechanic on the corner to do the job. :-) I'd like
to feel comfortable doing this job myself. Are ramps safer than
stands?  Are there any tricks that make this job easy?<<

For what it*s worth, I also have my local gas station guy do this.  He throws
the
car up on his lift, I bring him the 80/90 gearbox oil, and we are done in
about five minutes.  Definitely worth the 20 bucks.  Also FWIW, I prefer
using ramps whenever possible, wheels chocked, with a jack backup.
Stay alive to drive.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 III