Three Spitfire questions.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Three Spitfire questions.
From: Anthony Green <green@cygnus.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:59:37 -0700
Hey folks -

I have a few questions about my '79 Spitfire 1500.

1. I bought a new (metal) fuel filter yesterday; but today, when
I was staring at the engine, I noticed there was a second fuel filter
between the fuel pump and the carburator. My books don't mention this
second filter.  Did someone have a good reason for putting this in?
What was it?  Can anybody suggest a replacement part #, or should I
just replace it with hose?

2. The bi-metallic strip for the air intake valve has snapped, and the
metal flap just bounces around. I will probably get a new one soon, and
while I'm at it, replace the air intake hose. My air intake hose is
very short. It looks like it should be much longer. Where is the intake
portion supposed to end up?

3. I was going to top up the gearbox oil myself and crawled under the
car for the first time. I had the front up on safety stands. It took
me a minute to find the plug, and boy is it ever tricky to get to.  I
didn't feel very comfortable lying underneath the car, so I bailed out
and am getting the mechanic on the corner to do the job. :-) I'd like
to feel comfortable doing this job myself. Are ramps safer than
stands?  Are there any tricks that make this job easy?

As always - feel free to point out the obvious.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
'79 Spitfire 1500 (daily driver).

--
Anthony Green                                               Cygnus Solutions
                                                       Sunnyvale, California