Wood Dash Selection

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wood Dash Selection
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:33:39 -0700
Since there has been some discussion regarding wood dashes and I am
experiencing my own "wood dash" dilemma, I thought I'd tag along with
the discussion, but via a new thread. (No this is not about what finish
to put on the dash.) :-)

I too recently purchased a new dash for my '70 TR6 from TRF, and yes,
there
is no comparison to the original dash on the car. As noted earlier,
american
walnut was used for the veneer which is extremely darker and has less
grain
patterns. When I took it out to the car to have a true comparison, I
turned
around, went back to the house and proceeded to rebox the dash to send
back
to TRF.

I looked at Moss's catelog and was pleased to see on page 26 of the
accessories
section a dash that seemed much closer to the walnut found in the TR6.
When I
called Moss to order the dash, I explained my experience with TRF. The
sales person proceeded to inform me that they get their dash from the
same distributor as TRF and that the dash would be the same! I pointed
out that what was pictured in no way
resembled the dash TRF sent me, which I was then told that pictures get
distorted
when copied and you can"t go by this.

Anyway, enough rambling.... Does anyone on the list have experience with
another
dealer who can supply a period correct dash for a '70 TR6 which has
either the
english walnut a another veneer which has a lighter wood color and
strong graining?

On another subject, I have a set of perfectly good (just installed 2
weeks ago)
inertia reel seatbelts which I woud like to sell. They are the same ones
as seen in Moss's catelog, page 26 of the accessories section, item
number 222-105, listed at $82.95 ea. I have changed my mind regarding
the inertias and am going back to the hook mounted three point belts. I
am asking $80 for both of them (yes, not each) plus postage
and handling. I will send in the original boxes with all parts and one
set of
installation instructions (sorry, can't find the other from the one
box). I did buy
these on sale last year when they went for somewhere around $95 for the
set, so I'm
not taking that much of a loss.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA