TR6 radio/speaker installation?

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 radio/speaker installation?
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:03:12 -0400
I'm looking to replace the stock BL am/fm radio in my '74 TR6.

1) Does anyone know of a new one that will fit without modifying the dash
support? The original radio has 5 1/2" centers on the knobs, and new ones
appear to be 6".  Unlike ones available a few years ago, the knob distance
on ones I can find does not appear to be adjustable.

I've considered getting a radio blanking plate and installing the stereo
under the dash. Anyone gone that way?

2) Currently my speakers are (P.O.-) installed in flimsy corrugated
cardboard from a packing box, covered with vinyl and screwed under the dash
above each side of the transmission tunnel. Are the speaker panels from
Moss or TRF any good?  Anyone have good/bad experiences with surface mount
speakers on the rear parcel shelf? (I don't want to install in the
fiberboard in front of the gas tank for safety and esthetic reasons).

3) Current antenna is cheap universal non-flush telescopic mounted in the
fender just in front of the near-side door.  Anyone know if there is room
inside the fender for a completely retracting antenna?

Ted Stevens
'74 TR6
stevens@erols.com