Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?

To: stevens@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 14:13:44 1997
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Well, being an originality nut, but driving the cars daily
puts me in a real vice regarding some items.

I like AM/FM/CD players, tape being a low grade form of music.
With the top down, you NEED those crisp notes.

All new CD players are in the new DIN style which I considered
removing the console and bolting underneath.  Think this is
a better path than butchering the console.  The old style
radios are still sold, but they are AM/FM w/pushbuttons only,
these fit with no mods.

Like you, I refuse to place speakers where the rain will get
them when the top is down...

So I finally nailed it:

While riding in one of my girlfriend's cars, the dealer had
fitted a trunk mounted CD changer with remote control head...
This plugs into the Antenna wire and plays via FM 88.3 into
the normal speakers.  Now one more improvement is using the
new 4" speakers (Pioneer makes a costly version that's not
so heavy as to break the side boards) in the stock holes with
possibly a power amp.

But for the time being, I'm upgrading the speakers with the
TRF panel kit with holes behind the console.  Then I'll
stick the changer as a removal item in the trunk, routing
the control head following the wiring harness next to the drivers seat.
This can be removed for security or moved from car to car.

One item for sure, you likely won't have some punk cuttting
the top to get a AM/FM w/pushbutton radio.

This was a Clairon unit, the Mazda place installed it as a
dealer method of putting a CD player into new car.  Sounds great.

I can likely get the model number, etc.

Roger