Re: Blown fuses for headlight

To: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Blown fuses for headlight
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 03:32:21 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Zink <zink@pdq.net>
bill nichol wrote:
> The cure was so simple i almost hate to admit it. I went through my
> lights one by one checking restance to ground abd found each of my tail
> lts pulling 1 to 4 Megohms (not a miss print)

  Just a note that high resistances such as this draw LOW currents.

  So if the resistance of the circuit is really in the megohms, the
draw would be almost nothing, the lights would never light, and you'd
never get any hot wiring. Essentially, nothing would happen except
your battery might go dead after 4 billion years of powering the
circuit.

> instead of the more normal 4 or less ohms.

  Which will actually draw a lot of current.

  Of note though, filaments have very low resistances when cold, and
the resistance increases when hot. This is why a light bulb seems
like a dead short (ie: fuse) but doesn't draw infinite current.

  You can use resistance to test whether filaments are intact, but
you can't really speculate on the current draw of them when
running.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada