Re: Blown fuses for headlight

To: bnicho19@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Blown fuses for headlight
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:54:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
bill nichol wrote:
> You went to a whole different school of electrical theory than the rest
> of the world.

  But I still have a degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering so
hear me out. I might be misunderstanding you, but I am not likely
to be spewing nonsense on basic topics such as this.

  A seasoned auto mechanic might screw up once in a while in
the details, but they aren't going to forget which side
of the car is supposed to be on the road.

> Corrosion causes restiance. resistance causes heat. If
> voltage is constant then current must increase to carry the increased
> load.

  Wrong.

  What happens is corrosion increases resistance. Less current
flows. Lights go dim. Lights go out. LUCAS gets a bad rep.

  Remember ohms law. If voltage is constant, and resistance
increases, current goes down.

  There is no magical source of energy that pushes current
though incredible resistance to make sure that a 15 watt light
bulb always emits 15 watts.  That is a force that your statements
have seemingly invented.

> If you still feel compelled to disagree, fine. But, please don't try to
> discount the FACT that removing the corrosion ended my fuse problems.

  Careful, you are making a jump in logic.

  The FACT is that the operations you performed while cleaning
corrosion from connectors removed the source of the blowing
fuses.

  That doesn't mean what you actually BELEIVED you were doing
actually solved the problem. You might have relocated a wire
that was shorting, or bent a wire in a new way that caused
it to conduct or not conduct.

  LUCAS is tricky, take nothing for granted.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada