Re: Blown fuses for headlight

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Blown fuses for headlight
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:48:57 -0400
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> bill nichol wrote:
> > The cure was so simple i almost hate to admit it. I went through my
> > lights one by one checking restance to ground abd found each of my tail
> > lts pulling 1 to 4 Megohms (not a miss print)
>
>   Just a note that high resistances such as this draw LOW currents.
>
>   So if the resistance of the circuit is really in the megohms, the
> draw would be almost nothing, the lights would never light, and you'd
> never get any hot wiring. Essentially, nothing would happen except
> your battery might go dead after 4 billion years of powering the
> circuit.
>
> > instead of the more normal 4 or less ohms.
>
>   Which will actually draw a lot of current.
>
>   Of note though, filaments have very low resistances when cold, and
> the resistance increases when hot. This is why a light bulb seems
> like a dead short (ie: fuse) but doesn't draw infinite current.
>
>   You can use resistance to test whether filaments are intact, but
> you can't really speculate on the current draw of them when
> running.
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey
> Ottawa, Canada
> tboicey@brit.ca
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
Trevor,
        You went to a whole different school of electrical theory than the rest
of the world. The high restance was not through the bulb(duh!) The high
restance was because the fantastically poor ground points and
terminations used by Lucas, allowing incredible amounts of corrosion to
accumulate. Even promoting in some instances through dissimiliar metal
corrosion. Corrosion causes restiance. resistance causes heat. If
voltage is constant then current must increase to carry the increased
load.
        If you still feel compelled to disagree, fine. But, please don't try to
discount the FACT that removing the corrosion ended my fuse problems.

        All hail the prince of Darkness!
Bill
78Spit
80Wedge