Re: Blown fuses for headlight

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Blown fuses for headlight
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 08:42:02 -0400
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-07-25 11:06:48 EDT, bnicho19@bellsouth.net (bill
> nichol) writes:
>
> > Trevor Boicey wrote:
> >  >
> >  > bill nichol wrote:
> >  > > The cure was so simple i almost hate to admit it. I went through my
> >  > > lights one by one checking restance to ground abd found each of my
> tail
> >  > > lts pulling 1 to 4 Megohms (not a miss print)
>
> >  >
> >  >   Just a note that high resistances such as this draw LOW currents.
> >  >
> >  >   So if the resistance of the circuit is really in the megohms, the
> >  > draw would be almost nothing, the lights would never light, and you'd
> >  > never get any hot wiring. Essentially, nothing would happen except
> >  > your battery might go dead after 4 billion years of powering the
> >  > circuit.
> >  >
> >  > > instead of the more normal 4 or less ohms.
> >  >
> >  >   Which will actually draw a lot of current.
> >  >
> >  >   Of note though, filaments have very low resistances when cold, and
> >  > the resistance increases when hot. This is why a light bulb seems
> >  > like a dead short (ie: fuse) but doesn't draw infinite current.
> >  >
> >  >   You can use resistance to test whether filaments are intact, but
> >  > you can't really speculate on the current draw of them when
> >  > running.
> >  >
> >  > --
> >  > Trevor Boicey
> >  > Ottawa, Canada
> >  > tboicey@brit.ca
> >  > http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
>
> >  Trevor,
> >       You went to a whole different school of electrical theory than the
>rest
> >  of the world. The high restance was not through the bulb(duh!) The high
> >  restance was because the fantastically poor ground points and
> >  terminations used by Lucas, allowing incredible amounts of corrosion to
> >  accumulate. Even promoting in some instances through dissimiliar metal
> >  corrosion. Corrosion causes restiance. resistance causes heat. If
> >  voltage is constant then current must increase to carry the increased
> >  load.
> >       If you still feel compelled to disagree, fine. But, please don't try
> >  discount the FACT that removing the corrosion ended my fuse problems.
> >
> >       All hail the prince of Darkness!
> >  Bill
> >  78Spit
> >  80Wedge
> >

> Bill, now, now!  Trevor is right.  In the total circuit -- I=E/R (I is
> current, E= elctromotive force or voltage, and R=resistance) - so if E is
> constant and R increases  then I goes down.  It can't go up ( an example
> would be an open circuit - where the resistance is infinite and no current
> [...]
Art,
        Trev and I have pretty much worked this topic to death and yes my
recolection of ohms law was pretty foggy. Never the less all the
fumbling around and cleaning of corrosion( which needed to be done
anyway) did have the desired result. I haven't blown a fuse in several
thousand miles.

        Fixed by dumb luck? who cares it's fixed and it stayed fixed.