Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, bnicho19@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:35:40, -0500
-- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Date: Wednesday, 23-Jul-97 03:31 AM

From: Bill Nichol              \ Internet:    (bnicho19@bellsouth.net)

> Just a quick note to anyone who saw my question on crankcase breather
on
> a Spitfire.  Took the valve cover off again and after chiselling the
> welds on the baffle plate on one side I was able to
> get at the filter material.  This material was NASTY ! Seems to be
> coarse steel wool and all gummed up, hence not allowing any breathing.

> Chris
> '78 Spitfire ( breathing treatments completed ) Chris,
        just for curiosity's sake I thought I'd share this with you. I've had
the exact same symtoms as you seem to have for some time. A short time
ago I blew a hose and badly overheated my poor spit. I thought the head
was gone for sure. Now get this. No damage was done to the head.
Compression is still strong, oil pressure is up by about 5 psi and my
valve cover is back to negative pressure. No more oil out the dipstick
or the dist, little or no oil out the breather tube. Yes I checked the
oiling of the rack and it seems plentyful.
        Go figure?
        Bill
78Spit
80Wedge

Bill;

Maybe the heat when you overheated cleaned out some passages ? Possibly
the tube was clogged and then heat helped clear it ? I know my situation
improved when I ran a couple of high rev runs at the last autocross
likely blew some stuff out.  Do you still have the original PCV and
emissions stuff connected ? I don't, so I don't get negative pressure on
the valve since the blowby goes into a overflow can. I would think you
would not get negative pressure in the valve cover.. only the manifold
vacuum working with the PCV valve would suck the gases out of the valve
cover into the carb.

Odd cars these LBC's

Chris