Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...

To: CHRISTOPHER J REILLY <Spitfire15@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:19:31 -0500
Cc: bnicho19@bellsouth.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Okay guys,
Here's another baffler for you, I have a 1964 Spitfire4.  The original
engine with valve cover.  Valve cover has breather tube connected to
abouut 10 inch rubber hose to a metal Y junction that mounts to the
front of the air cleaners(back bolt on front carb holds front of Y
junction, front bolt on rear carb holds the rear of the mounting
flange).  Two curved rubber hoses go to nipples in the air cleaners.
There is no PCV valve involved, just full time crankcase venting. I can
only assume that it was original because I have only owned the car since
1979. But it used spring type hose clamps on the hose from the valve
cover to the Y, and friction fit on the two curved hoses. This dumps the
crankcase vapors straight into the throat of both carbs.  When it runs
right, I can pull 6.5 grand on the engine and I don't have an oil trap
in the valve cover, nor are there any signs that there ever was one.
And I don't have excess oil usage.  Maybe my engine is a factory freak.
Or the PO did some upgrades I am not aware of.

Larry Zink