Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, CHRISTOPHER J REILLY <Spitfire15@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:58:02 -0400
CHRISTOPHER J REILLY wrote:

> -- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
> -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------
>
> Date: Wednesday, 23-Jul-97 03:31 AM
>
> From: Bill Nichol              \ Internet:    (bnicho19@bellsouth.net)
>
> Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...
>
> > Just a quick note to anyone who saw my question on crankcase breather
> on
> > a Spitfire.  Took the valve cover off again and after chiselling the
> > welds on the baffle plate on one side I was able to
> > get at the filter material.  This material was NASTY ! Seems to be
> > coarse steel wool and all gummed up, hence not allowing any breathing.
>
> > Chris
> > '78 Spitfire ( breathing treatments completed ) Chris,
>         just for curiosity's sake I thought I'd share this with you. I've had
> the exact same symtoms as you seem to have for some time. A short time
> ago I blew a hose and badly overheated my poor spit. I thought the head
> was gone for sure. Now get this. No damage was done to the head.
> Compression is still strong, oil pressure is up by about 5 psi and my
> valve cover is back to negative pressure. No more oil out the dipstick
> or the dist, little or no oil out the breather tube. Yes I checked the
> oiling of the rack and it seems plentyful.
>         Go figure?
>         Bill
> 78Spit
> 80Wedge
>
> Bill;
>
> Maybe the heat when you overheated cleaned out some passages ? Possibly
> the tube was clogged and then heat helped clear it ? I know my situation
> improved when I ran a couple of high rev runs at the last autocross
> likely blew some stuff out.  Do you still have the original PCV and
> emissions stuff connected ? I don't, so I don't get negative pressure on
> the valve since the blowby goes into a overflow can. I would think you
> would not get negative pressure in the valve cover.. only the manifold
> vacuum working with the PCV valve would suck the gases out of the valve
> cover into the carb.
>
> Odd cars these LBC's
>
> Chris
> -------- REPLY, End of original message --------
I don't know. I don't have emmsions junk on the car any more. Before if
I tried to oil the spit with the engine running it blew oil everywhere.
(I know. Why would I oil the car w/engine running?) Anyway now when I
put my hand over the open oil cap I can feel a slight vacuum. I don't
see any place for a pcv valve to go on this engine. where does yours
connect?

Bill