Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...

To: bnicho19@bellsouth.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:18:11, -0500
-- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Chris
> -------- REPLY, End of original message -------- I don't know. I don't
have emmsions junk on the car any more. Before if I tried to oil the
spit with the engine running it blew oil everywhere. (I know. Why would
I oil the car w/engine running?) Anyway now when I put my hand over the
open oil cap I can feel a slight vacuum. I don't see any place for a pcv
valve to go on this engine. where does yours connect?

Bill

Bill;

Mine doesn't have emissions either, but I have been researching a way to
get a more effective breather system in place.

>From looking at the diagrams in several sources it appears that the PCV
valve would normally be connected to the breather hose and  continue on
to the carbon Canister.  From the PCV another hose would go to the
manifold.  When manifold presure was sufficient ( not sure of amt ) the
PCV would open and route the unburned gases into the carb to be burned.
Also at this same point I think the gas vapors in the canister would
also be vented into the carb.  When not enough vacuum is present the
gases from the valve area would go to the canister.  The oil trap in the
valve cover is supposed to stop oil from entering this particular
circuit.

Now you see my reason for surprise at hearing that you now have a vacuum
in your valve cover and also do no have the PCV circuit connected.  I
could see the vacuum in the valve cover if the manifold line was
connected with the PCV, but without it I would think you would have
positive pressure.  Unless somthing is pulling the air into the cover
such as valves ?

Can anyone shed more light on this ?

Chris
'78 Spitfire ( Autocrosser that has bad breath, but not breathing
problems )