ZS Problems

To: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ZS Problems
From: "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:30:43 -0400
Has anyone used the Longflow air filter on a Spit with a ZS carb?
Has anyone successfully removed the charcoal canisters?

Here is what I have found.
If I remove the charcoal canister and plug the hole on the carb the car
will
not start.  If the car is running and the hole is plugged the car will
stall.
Note when the car runs all other holes on the canister are plugged.

If I remove the air filter (big black can) the car will not run smoothly
over
4000 RPMs.

I have tried tuning the car with the air filter off.  Runs fine up to
5000.
It seems the problem is when I get it on the road and put the car under
a load
that I lose power and does not run correctly.  However, as soon as I put
the old air filter
on it it works.  It should also be noted that when I tested it with no
air filter I used
the air filter screws.

I have a fuel pressure gauge in line along with a regulator.  I have
installed a electronic
fuel pump.  The electric fuel pump is a red labeled Prolator (SP?).  As
I recall this pump
could deliver more fuel than the blue label pump.  My fuel pressure
gauge will not exceed
2.5     PSI.  To get 2.5 PSI I need to set the regulator to 3.5 or better.
Why?  Note my old
mechanical fuel pump would deliver 2 to 2.5 PSI.

Here is my tuning procedure.  I adjust the A/F ratio with the special ZS
tool until
I get my idle to a maximum.  Is there some other way?  I make changes in
¼ turns or less.
I do not see much of a change between ¼ turn too rich and ¼ turn too
lean.  Is this
normal?

I have new clear glass fuel filters that do not seem to be collecting
any crud.  Could
I have a partly blocked line?

I hope that someone out there can help me with this one!  I don't know
what else
to try.

Thanks
Dave C