Re: Electric Cooling Fans

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electric Cooling Fans
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:39:07 -0400
Cc: 105671.471@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:
> In my original post, I said "for the same cooling." That applies to whatever
> RPM the engine is operating at. If it takes 21.6 HP to operate the mechanical
> fan at 4800 RPM, it will take at least 26 HP to operate an electric fan with
> the same air flow.

  But of course, that "same air flow" is ludicrous, because at
4800 RPM the engine fan is whaling away making air that probably
isn't required at all because of natural air flow of going
that fast.

  You should never need the kind of air flow from an electric
fan that the engine fan makes at 4800 rpm.

> Due to the sporting nature of our cars, they are most often driven
> around windy, twisty, roads, at a relatively slow speed. An
> electric fan would be on quite a bit under these conditions.

  I suppose it depends where you live. But my "other" car
makes twice as much horsepower as my LBC and and the electric fan
pretty much never comes on. Literally most drives it never
comes on at all unless it's over 30 celsius and I am in
stop-and-go.

  Side issue, does anyone know which years of Spitfire
engines had a viscous-clutch fan?

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada