Re: Electric Cooling Fans

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Electric Cooling Fans
From: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:30:31 -0600
    DANMAS> Whatever horse power is required to drive the fan
    DANMAS> from the engine, it will take anywhere from 1.2 to
    DANMAS> 2 times that horse power to drive the alternator
    DANMAS> to power it from an electric motor. [...]
But the fan is not required at high vehicle speeds so with an electric fan it
shuts off using no horsepower. Some American companies still use a viscous
clutch on large V-8's .  This can show dynoed gains of 20-30 HP.  See the
Chrysler Engine book.  A viscous clutch also has the advantage of being fail
safe. I am not aware of one that would fit the TR range.  Sometimes thre is
even a thermostatic clucth fitted which will disengage the fan at low
temeperatures

    DANMAS> Now, put that same fan on an electric motor, and
    DANMAS> what happens? To move the same amount of air, the
    DANMAS> fan will require the same horsepower to spin as it
    DANMAS> did before.

>Here's your fallacy.  The fan you were using before (on the
>engine) is neither an efficient design (at least on my TR-4)
>nor is is shrouded, so the air it moves doesn't all
>necessarily go where you'd like it to for optimum cooling.
>You can, in fact, break even or a little better by using a
>well designed lightweight electric fan (the old one is
>_heavy_ too) in a good shroud.  The real win is that at idle,
>you can move enough air to keep that big lump of iron cool
>even in stop-and-go in New Orleans in summer...

The fans on the early TR's are certainly heavy the fan assembly on the TR4A I
have is a six blade variety with lot's and lot's of pitch.  Plus the fan and
the extension weigh about 2-3 pounds.  That's a lot of rotating mass.

The most important factor is that the normal fan is only going to draw large
amounts of HP when it is needed least -- at High RPM.  At 4000 RPM it may draw
15 HP (perhaps more).  That's alot of power power to find in a small motor.
The electric fan will draw power out of the engine when you are sitting in stop
and go traffic or at a traffic light, when you have plenty to spare.

Tom