More compression testing

Subject: More compression testing
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 09:54:29 -0500
Subject:
        For the list... concerning compression t
  Date:
        Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:38:31 -0400
  From:
        MSMCL301.JGAMBO01@eds.com
    To:
        "susan, SUSAN3" <susan@GROTECON.COM>

A message from Jim Gambony...

One item I haven't seen discussed with regard to compression testing is
what
to do with the coil output (high tension lead to the distributor).

The suggestion to disconnect all the leads (after marking them) means
that
there will be 4 or 6 (or maybe even 8) leads shooting sparks all over
the
engine compartment.  If you've never been hit with the 20000+ volts from
the
coil, don't start now!

The recommendation I've seen is to ground out the lead from the coil to
the
distributor (somewhere around the brake/clutch master is great on the
Spit).
 Make sure to leave the plug in the coil end:  I've been assured that
it's
not good for the coil to pull the coil end plug and turn the motor over.

Why worry about grounding out the ignition system?  Because you'll have
gas/air mixture leaking out the spark plug holes, just looking to cause
trouble.

Jim Gambony
Gambony@hotmail.com