Re: UNLEADED FUEL IN PI CARS

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: UNLEADED FUEL IN PI CARS
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:34:55 GMT
On 4 Sep 1997, James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> However, I might add that when I had my Rabbit Diesel about
> five years ago, I recall that the pump always said the fuel contained
> lead.

Diesel fuel containing lead? Don't think so.

> I don't know whether Diesel engines use different injectors than
> gasoline engines

A Diesel injection system is really completely different from the Lucas
PI in all respects. Additionally, Diesel fuel is not comparable to
gasoline since it has much better inherent lubricating properties.

But back to the subject at hand. First of all, I have found no convincing
evidence that indicates that lead additives indeed would have any positive
effects on the Lucas PI metering unit.

In addition, I have seen confirmation in writing from an oil company tech.
dept. that firmly concludes that they are certain that lead cannot
possibly contribute to the lubrication of such a system, since the thetra
methyl lead lubrication effect only occurs as elevated temperatures.
Considering that any evidence to the contrary would place the oil company
in an awkward situation in terms of product liability, I'm willing to put
some weight on what the are saying.

My own experience suggests that running a PI with unleaded fuel for a
number of years certainly does not seem to have any noticeable negative
effects on the PI system. Don't take this as conclusive evidence, though,
I have not performed any before/after measurements to find out if extra
component wear is actually occurring.

Finally, the Lucas PI handbook does not mention anywhere that leaded fuel
is required for lubrication.

My conclusion thus far is, FWIW, that I think that lead being required for
lubrication of the PI system is a purely a myth.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway