Re: UNLEADED FUEL IN PI CARS

To: dstauffa@csc.com, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: UNLEADED FUEL IN PI CARS
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 15:20:07 -0400
dstauffa@csc.com wrote:
> Just like Chris mentioned, I've been stocking up on the lead additives to
> pour into my petrol tank.  I have the hardened seat for the exhaust valves,
> so only need the lead for the metering unit.

  Is the metering unit really so unobtainable?

  My comments are basically price-oriented. Prevention
is a good thing, but that lead additive is not cheap.

  Going through hundreds of dollars of lead additive a
year to potentially reduce wear on a part that isn't
all that expensive... well.... doens't make a lot of sense.

  For the non-PI crowd, it's kind of silly if you have
a "common" LBC like we do. $2.50 a fillup doesn't take
long to add up to the price of an full rebuild on
the components we are supposed to be protecting.

  In other words... most people are probably better off
to ignore it, and fix the problems if and when they
happen. Odds seem to be that it'll never happen anyways,
and even if it does, it's paid for by not buying lead
substitute.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada