Re: TR6 bullet mirror

To: The Garrisons <garrison@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 bullet mirror
From: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 18:43:43 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Garrisons wrote:

> At 11:03 AM 9/5/97 -0700, Theis, Karl J wrote:
> >For those of you interested in shelling out big bucks on Talbot
> >mirrors, I suggest you look at
> >http://talbotco.com/
> >
> >I had a Talbot bullet mirror on my Spit-6. Excellent quality.
> >Karl Theis
> >

> So you're suggesting we pay $100 to $200+ for a mirror?!?  I just might...
>
> The driver's side mirror on my '73 TR6 is the one that "came with the car"
> and it is in surprisingly good shape; only a couple of small swellings in
> the chrome.  The passenger side mirror (I consider this a necessity) I
> first got from The Roadster Factory 7 or 8 years ago.  It looks just like
> the driver's side "bullet" mirror, but the chrome started pitting after
> only a couple of years.  The big problem, though, is that the mounting
> system isn't worth a sh-t.  The thing gets wobbly and can't be tightened down.
>
> I bought another one of these mirrors from TRF last year when I did a
> restoral.  Same problem; it's already wobbly.  Apparently the mounting bar
> that screws to the car bends...
>
> ANYBODY HAVE A FIX FOR THIS?
>
> Making it convex is also a problem; the only curved mirrors I can find are
> intended for spot mirrors and are way too curved.
>
> It's the little things that'll kill you...
>
> - Gene Garrison

 Gene, fwiw
      I just replaced my talbot bullet mirror with the unit from TRF,
when I first installed it I was not happy with the "wobbles" I tightened
the exposed mounting screw even tho I thought it was tight. Only then
did the mirror pull down tight to the body. I think that once tight the
screw bends the inner mount tab. It hasn't been long but my mirror seems
to be holding strong.