Re: spit body removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spit body removal
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 06:35:43 -0700
>I'm going to be removing the body on my Spitfire
                      <  snip  >
>First, just how heavy is this bugger?  Assuming it's only an empty tub,
>doors and deck lid removed, no windshield or anything.  Can two
>reasonably strong men lift and carry it?
                       <  snip  >
>If one were to use a hoist to lift the tub off the frame (and then roll
>the frame out from underneath) where would be a good place to hoist
>from?
                       <  snip  >
>Finally, a question of aesthetics..  I'm probably going to paint the car
>red again, and am wondering if I should paint it red inside, out and
>underneath,
*******************************
John,
Been there done that -
Two people can easily lift the body off the frame, you'll be surprised at
how light the bare tub is.  One person can actually lift the entire thing
(done that just to see), but its so big and wieldly that it takes two to
move it around.   If you use a hoist (done that also, when no one was
around to help) place a strap through the rear wheel arches and at the
front, attach hooks to (or loop around) the catches that latch the bonnet
(per factory recommended method)  As to painting, I personally would paint
the entire tub, inside and out, then undercoat the floor, rear, and wheel
wells, which is what I will do to the project that someday I hope to finish
:-)

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )