Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)
From: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:09:05 -0700
On 12-Sep-97, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>Mark Stahlke wrote:

>> I vote for the market with the most true enthusiasts.

>  The Miata doesn't have enthusiasts? Where do you live? Arewe talking
>about the same car here? Your arguments might
>be valid for some grocery-getter, but people who have Miatas
>tend to like them. A lot.

More power to 'em!

>  Even if one in two TR owners are "enthusiasts", and one
>in TEN Miata owners are enthusiasts, it's still a giant market. Hell
>even Moss has a Miata catalog.

>  As well, the parent company is still in business making
>parts. If they go under like British Leyland, expect to see
>the vacuum filled by a sudden rush of parts suppliers
>eager to take the market.

>> How many of those million+ cars will be on the road in 40 years?

>  Well, a hell of a lot I would suspect. Pretty much every Miata
>I see on the road is in great shape, even the ones that are 8 years
>old.

>  Other than accidents, I have yet to see a "beat up" Miata
>or a Miata in a scrapyard. They also hold their value extremely
>well, it's rare to see ANY Miata around here for sale for
>less than $10000 CDN.

>  Again, I think you are using the word Miata but picturing
>like a Mazda 323 or a Chevy Cavalier in your head. Maybe
>you don't like them, but that doesn't mean nobody else does.

I was trying to avoid the M word (personally I have nothing against them). I
was thinking of modern society's "throw-away" mentality and applying it to
modern marques in general.

If owners of other marques both old and new are true enthusiasts then they are
our spiritual brethren (sounds pretty New-Agey, huh) however misguided some
may think them.

Mark